We are Colostomy UK, a national charity that offers support and advice to people living with stomas, their families, carers, and friends. We’re here if you have questions, need support or just want to talk to someone who lives with a stoma.
We also run projects to empower ostomates to return to sports, hobbies and other interests and give them the confidence to take up fresh challenges. We are advocates for ostomates’ rights and their voice on the bigger issues. Our campaigns raise awareness and encourage organisations to make their facilities more inclusive. Supporting and enhancing ostomates’ wellbeing is at the core of everything we do.
We want hidden conditions to be understood and accepted by all. Our vision is of communities in which everyone is empowered to reach their potential.
Support: We provide compassionate support tailored to the needs of the individual.
- 24 - hour Freephone stoma line 0800 328 4257 with fully trained volunteers available to share their experiences and advice of living with a stoma.
- As well as answering our helpline, our volunteers can also visit you in hospital or at home. We can match a volunteer to you; age, gender, location or concern.
- Literature – written in collaboration with ostomates and healthcare professionals.
- Our quarterly flagship support magazine Tidings shares hints, tips and real lives stories from individuals, and articles from healthcare professionals.
- Closed Facebook support group for peer to peer support.
- Our website is packed full of advice, support, and information on living with a stoma.
- We work with communities through individuals and stoma care nurses to set up support groups.
Empowerment: The aim of our day-to-day work, projects and campaigns, is to empower people living with a stoma to reach their potential.
- Active Ostomates - Improving the wellbeing of ostomates through a range of initiatives including Chair yoga, art, swimming, and archery.
- Join Team Colostomy UK – For anyone wanting to make a difference through volunteering, fundraising, rugby league or just helping anyway you can.
- Caring for a person with a stoma – Free workshops that provide a practical guide to caring for an ostomate.
- Stoma Friendly Society – Campaigning for stoma friendly toilets, working with UK airports make travel accessible to all.
Get in touch
Admin line: 0118 939 1537
24 hour Helpline (Practical and emotional support) 0800 328 4257